Current Key Largo Events
- Jul 20, 2019 - Jul 24, 2019 Location: Key Largo
- Lobster Sport Season Information Booth
- Officials from the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission emphasize the importance of responsible catching and proper measuring of lobsters and the need to protect lobster habitats during the annual spiny lobster sport season that begins this year at 12:01 a.m. Wednesday, July 24, and ends at midnight Thursday, July 25. An information booth geared to help travelers coming to the Florida Keys for lobster mini-season is to be open at Key Largo’s Waldorf Plaza, mile marker 100 oceanside near the top of the Florida Keys Overseas Highway. Planned hours are 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. Saturday, July 20, through Tuesday, July 23, in front of Divers Direct. Officials from the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission (FWC) are to staff the booth to demonstrate how to properly measure harvested lobsters and provide the latest lobster-catching rules and regulations, which are different in the Keys than in other areas of the state. Coast Guard Auxiliary members will be there promoting safe boating information.
- Jul 24, 2019 Location: Key Largo Category: Arts & Culture
- Sips & Science with Coral Restoration Foundation
- This month's topic, Coral Treatment to Beat the Heat, is presented by Matz Indergard. Does prior exposure to high temperatures help prepare corals for elevated temperatures in the future? Join CRF staff to explore thermal resilience of corals before placing them out on the reef. Sips & Science is a free monthly talk series hosted by Coral Restoration Foundation. As part of CRF's commitment to reducing single-use plastics, they will fill any reusable cups with a complimentary glass of wine or water! Starts 6 p.m., at CRF Exploration Center, 5 Seagate Blvd.